Wednesday, April 14, 2004

3 jOB INTERVIEWS and a VTR!

It's funny how all my job interviews and job VTR fell on the same day! I dunno if i would consider it as a convenience or inconvenience. Anyway, here's how my ultra-hectic day went...

PPI Global Online Marketing and Business Solutions
I got this job opening at JobsOnline and of course, believed that it was legit. Turns out, PPI stands for Platinum Plans Insurance! Imagine, i was hurrying to get to their office at Edsa, Pasay on Baclaran Day just to find out that they're an insurance company! I was laughing to myself (silently, of course) while waiting for my turn to be interviewed. I was grossly overdressed in my "business attire" that would be considered sloppy in the Makati area. All of a sudden, i wasn't so concerned that my attire didn't fit me perfectly. People came in sleevless tops and jeans, had newspaper clippings of job openings attached to their resumes--all waiting in line as we were entertained by the persisitent shouting of the bus barker outside. It was pathetic, really. I was fooled! Hahaha, but i didn't consider it as a waste of time--il just charge it to experience.

After "my interview" which consisted of What do all the members of your family do? What are your strengths and weaknesses? and the interviewer told me to come back for an orientation and training the next day. No siree, i don't like selling insurance--even if it's a junior manager position--i don't want to be in the insurance business!

1Wrangler
I got there around 2:25 and the contact person, Em Lingao, wasn't there yet! I got to chat with the La Salle girl who graduated last January, LiaCom: Marketing and Psychology. She's really nice. Her interview was supposed to be at 2pm and she made me go ahead since i told her i had to be at Accenture by 4pm.

Postion we're vying for is Brand/Marketing Assistant. Mr. Lingao said time is quite flexible and there's no bureaucracy, poltics bullshit in the company coz it's a family-owned business. The only downside, he said, is that the culture is kinda backwards (memos instead of e-mails) and conservative since most of the employees have been there for around 20 years already! Talk about OLD. If i get the job, it's off to negotiating with clients, a bit of advertising, events organizing, etc. He says it's not a glamour job, but i think it's fun and challenging! Only if it pays well, i hope....

Accenture
I was there at 3:20pm but the guard won't let me in so i waited at Starbucks across the street. Oh, just an aside, Starbucks has upgrade-the-size-of-your-coffee-for-free promo until April 30. So i got an iced grande latte for the price of an iced tall latte.

Anyway, i finally went in the office and signed my name at the registration form. I saw a handful of UP grads above my name. I was then given an entry-level application form and led to a room full of computers to fill out the form. I didn't even know what position i was applying for coz my friend, Walter Uy, just forwarded my resume to his friend who works for accenture. It was after we finished filling out the form that 2 girls gave us a screening orientation and company overview. Turns out that we were all being considered for 2 entry-level positions: one for Technology Solutions (technical computer programming stuff) and Service Workforce (US clients business outsourcing--letting us do their dirty document checking work) But the thing is, since the clients are from US, we gotta follow US time and ususally, they said, we'll be facing the computer for eight hours. Sounds harsh, but if it means i get a laptop, then i'm game! Hehehehe.

After the orientation, we were made to take 7 tests for about 2 hours! I felt like i was taking the ACET again, only there were no abstract tests. There was a handful of English stuff like grammar, verbal sumthing, logic, analysis and the inescapable math! I think i did pretty well--not great, but not bad either. I hope i pass stage one =) I think i'm the only one who's not a business or computer major there! Major OP, but they said they were accepting people from all courses since they're providing training naman--can be locally or in other countries. Sounds really nice and my friend says that Accenture pays high but not as high as Unilever and P&G. Ok na rin yun!

Magandang Morning Philippines
After hassling the driver to get my VTR clothes at home and go back to Makati, i ended up not going to the VTR. It was 7:12pm already when i finished the tedious exam and the VTR was only till 8pm at Malate. My friend, Cissy, who told me about the audition, said that we could still have the VTR next Wednesday. Whew!

Hay, job hunting is hard work! I haven't even prepared my portfolio for Summit Media application! There's realy SOOO many things to attend to! Things like getting flat abs, eating right, resume stuff, applying, website, flash...etcetera, etcetera, etcetara..

Before i go, i just wanna say that i want to have abs like Britney Spears! Hahaha, it would be a dream come true!

No comments:

What's up? How's it going?

January 2025 became a positive turning point. I was still on edge when we went back to the Philippines for Chinese New Year. I didn't wa...