Why I Don't Read Love Stories/Romance Novels Anymore
Back in 2nd year highschool, i devoured romance novels like there was no tomorrow. My favorite novelist was Judith Mcknaught and was an avid follower of all her novels. The one book that left the deepest impression in me was entitled, Paradise. The female protagonist there was named Meredith Alexandera Bancroft, hence, the URL of my site.
Anyway, i was so engrossed in reading these romance novels and also other titles such as Love Stories, Sweet Valley High, University, Sagas, etc. My collection is actually still lined up on my bookshelf in my room right now. They were lovely to read. They made me laugh, cry, moved me but also enticed me into a dreamworld of sorts each time i finish a book .
It's not really the book's fault or the writer's, but it's just the way i am. I became too engrossed in the romance novels that what i knew about love/romance/relationships all relied on what i read.
So you understand that when i entered into a relationship, everything just went wrong. I had so many wrong notions, illusions and was just naive to know how to properly handle a relationship. Since then, the appeal of romance novels to me quickly vanished. Everytime i was offered to read one, i would straightforwardly decline. I tell them that i don't believe in romance novels, i'm already jaded.
Around five years or so have passed and i've started reading novels again, but not of the romance genre. My friend introduced me to James Patterson's thrillers and i was hooked. The stories were really exciting, mysterious, spine-tingling, basically one that would keep all your senses working and also your mind. I told myself that i finally found my replacement for those Judith Mcknaught novels that i used to love.
However, just recently, as i was passing by National Bookstore, i checked out the James Patterson books and was i suprised to see a love story entitled, Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas . I didn't care much about it and just informed my friend that there was a new book out. She told me she just bought one a while a go at Goodwill.
Weeks pass and my friend suddenly comes up to me at work and tells me that she brought something for me. It was the book. She lent it to me and i'd put off reading it until today.
I just finished reading it now, that's why i'm writing down this blog entry. The book made me cry, really bad, again. It made me remember my romance novels back then and, you know what, i feel bad. I feel bad for making myself open up and cry over a romance novel again. Crying over them used to de-stress me and give me a lighthearted feeling of calmness. But now, all it gave me was paranoia and annoyance.
The book, the story was good, yes, but i just don't like the effect that it might have on me. I don't want to go back living in a dreamworld where everything was perfect for me. Life doesn't work like that and i've learned it the hard way. I still have SOO MUCH to learn after being in a relationship for five years, it's as if i'm just starting to learn what and how to handle and do things.
I don't know why i have a hard time learning, i'm just so pigheaded and self-righteous. Just like those "heroines" in the romance novels. Well, at least, James Patterson's characters were a bit diffrerent but the fantasy and illusion of a perfect world was still there. I couldn't believe my eyes that as Patterson was able to write about unbelievably gory murders, he could also write unbelievably sappy love stories. Dang, i hate getting affected.
Sigh. I REALLY HATE GETTING AFFECTED!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment